Yes, it’s true. Stress kills…
Being under long-term stress – such as financial or marital problems – causes certain hormones to form plaque in your coronary arteries, fueling atherosclerosis and increasing the chance you’ll develop blood clots.
Acute stress is even worse. The sudden burst of hormones causes your blood pressure to spike, sets your heat racing, and can even result in an irregular heartbeat. It can also cause a rupture of plaque in your coronary arteries, leading to a heart attack.
And it doesn’t matter whether the stress is so-called bad stress, or stress that some people seem to thrive on. The damage is the same. Especially for those over 50, who simply cannot bounce back from overwork and stressful situations as well as younger folks can.
If you suffer from a lot of stress in your life, you may think it’s impossible to change. But that’s not true. I’ve had many patients transform their health with simple lifestyle changes.
Best Tips For Relieving Stress
Here are some of my best tips for relieving stress:
- Get moving! Exercise is a proven stress buster and mood elevator. Try walking an hour per day.
- Look to support from your spouse and family members; spend more time talking to them.
- Rediscover some old interests or cultivate new ones.
- Review your work habits and determine if you could delegate some work or otherwise streamline you job.
- Eat a heart-healthy plant-based diet – and make sure to cut out any stimulants like caffeine.
- One great stress reducer is prayer or meditation. With prayer, you concentrate on all the things for which you are grateful. You’ll find it’s impossible to feel stressed when you are feeling grateful.