Five Steps for Beating Metabolic Syndrome
The good news is that a diagnosis of metabolic syndrome — while an indication of a serious health problem — is in no way an irreparable condition. With the proper lifestyle changes and getting on the metabolic syndrome diet, the condition can be completely reversed, and your risk of diabetes and heart disease can be lowered significantly.
Five Step Plan To Beat Metabolic Syndrome
Here is my Five Step Plan to beat metabolic Syndrome
- Deal aggressively with the condition. At the beginning, you may need to take medications such as blood pressure drugs (diuretics or ACE inhibitors), statins for elevated cholesterol, and also possibly diabetes drugs to bring abnormally high blood glucose levels under control. But if you follow your prescriptions, you’ll see these conditions improve and your need for medication may vanish.
- Lose 10 percent of your body weight.Your glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels will improve, and you should be able to eliminate hypertension medications.
- Follow a plant-based diet made up of whole foods. Such a diet is composed mostly of fruits and vegetables, legumes, and whole grains, along with small amounts of protein, such as turkey or fish. Shop for fresh foods, not those that are processed or packaged. Organic produce is best, even though you may have to pay a little more for it.
- Walk one hour a day. During the first 30 minutes, you use up stored energy reserves. But then, after that initial half-hour, your body kicks into gear, and you’ll see your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood glucose levels improve.
- Manage your stress. When you are under stress, your body releases unhealthy hormones into your bloodstream, especially adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones raise blood pressure and can lead to elevated cholesterol levels. They also make your blood more likely to clot. Exercise is a great stress-buster, as is enjoying a hobby, and spending time with family and friends. For me, prayer and spending time regularly with my religious community helps me deal with stress.
Metabolic syndrome is indeed a deadly threat, but you can beat the condition by doing the very same things that give you victory over heart disease.
If you’re told you have metabolic syndrome, take it as a wake-up call. You’ve run out of wiggle room, and the time has come to change your lifestyle.